Kim
Kim
  • Haslet, TX

How can I grow gardenia?

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAKimShoshana

I think I love them to death. Seriousl, I follow ALL of the rules from " experienced gardeners" for growing gardenia and still they die. Has anyone else had this problem? They look great when I bring them home from the nursery, I pot them in a nice mix of potting soil w a little manure, water them when 1" -3" feels dry, put them in a partial sunny spot, they die :(
  • Shoshana

Oh no that's just sad! Try sprinkling some Epsom salt down to keep them happy and growing.
  • Kim

Thank you! I will.
  • The manure might be burning the roots of a still younger plant. I would stick with a commercial bagged soil and try that and see if you have better luck. Being in TX, they might need a bit more water. Have you spoken to the nursery personnel for their tips that apply to where you live? I would try that too. Good luck, one of my favorites too.