Can I plant lilies that I received for Mother's day?

Ros7225299LindaWhitney
+2

I received a nice pot of lillies for a present on Mothers day. It is now losing petals and dropping some leaves. Can I plant it in my flower garden and keep it going, or do I have to dry out the bulbs and wait to plant them next fall?

Plant them in the garden and let the foliage die off naturally as the bulbs feef off of it for next year.
  • Sharon Boyer

Also, once any remaining leaves turn brown, I cut back to just enough to remind me where the lily is when I remulch next.
  • Whitney

I've heard of it being done before but I do not know how exactly. Hopefully this article will help you!

• Linda

I have planted a few In my flower bed after they have started to lose leaves and go brown. They haven't done anything but start to green up, but the next spring/summer they bloom again. Since they are forced to bloom at a certain time, for market purposes, this doesn't mean they will bloom at exactly that time the next year but they will come back. Hope this helps now.
  • Ros7225299

That's kind of what I thought. I know they have to go through a cold spell to rebloom, but I will plant them alongside my other lillies and will look forward to them next spring. I don't know what type they are, but they smell fabulous.