HOW TO GET RUST OFF SAFELY

Dave MuellerJanelle HolmanSch3586701
+4

Garage sales find. A peper log maker rusted but still in good enough saper for a project. Cost $2.00 CND so about $1.50 US. Maybe it would make a great planter for spices?
q how to get rust off safely
I need to get the rust off without causing to much damage...need your help for a solution
q how to get rust off safely
And if you have any ideas how to make the best project with it
q how to get rust off safely
I have 2 ideas but I'm looking for the best one
  • Shoshana

Vinegar reacts with rust to dissolve it off of metal. Soak metal in white vinegar for a few days and then scrub the rusty paste off. Repeat if necessary.
  • Sandra Allen

And if the vinegar doesn't work you can try Rustoleum jelly.
  • Sch3586701

I re-did an old wagon and the metal was still rusty after vinegar soak, sanding with Dremel and other tricks. I went to an auto parts store and they suggested a spray that sealed the rust behind black paint. It can be painted another color if you don't want black. The spray did great for my project. You may want to look into it. Name: Permeated Rust Treatment. Can states, "Destroys rust on contact".
  • Janelle Holman

try soaking it in Coke a Cola my dad did this for rusted on bolts

• Dave Mueller

My dad worked in a machine shop for many years. to remove rust from something he was working he would go to the soda machine and buy a bottle of Coke