Gloria
Gloria
  • Worthing, SD

Easiest way to paint oak cabinets

Diana DeileyEveMichele Pappagallo
+2

Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.
  • Michele Pappagallo

I also recommend cleaning the surfaces with a TSP solution (available at your home center) to remove any dirty residue or grease build up on the wood before painting.
  • Eve

I used general finishes milk paint. Cleaned the cabinets well with TSP (from home depot), lightly sanded and wiped down with water and let dry. I used antique white, 2 coats and sealed with general finishes top coat.
  • Diana Deiley

Opps! It is highly recommended NOT to use TSP and then prime with Zinseer 123. (It's on the can.) Try Kilz2 which is water based. Best of luck.