Sheila
Sheila
  • Big Sandy, TX

If I use salt to kill poison ivy-how far from other trees & plants?

JanetSheilaSue B.
+4

If I use salt to kill poison ivy, how far away from trees and other plants do I need to stay so that I will not harm them?
  • Kig3047281

Try to cut out as much as possible first. Then use the salt directly on the poison ivy. I know poison ivy weaves among other plants but try to get to the roots and douse with the salt if you can't dig them out. Cover yourself head to toe to keep from being exposed to it's wretched rash !
  • Sheila

But if I am dousing large quantities, how far do I need to stay away from other trees and foliage?

• Deborah Geddings Truesdale

Use only on the Poison Ivy leaves and roots. Don't spray in a widespread angle because you will kill the other vegetation. I have found that by spraying just the ivy leaves, it will kill the whole plant within a few days. It won't kill it overnight though and you will probably have to reapply, especially if it has rained. Poison Ivy is not easy to kill with one application.
  • Nancy Turner

Please be careful with salt. It will wash off in the rain and run down the soil and also leach into the soil. From there it goes down into the sewer and ends up in the streams, rivers and lakes and so on. The salt does not disappear and builds up over time turning said streams, rivers and lakes into water with a high salinity level which in turn kills off all the native water plants and fish, frogs, etc. that can't handle the salinity. It is already becoming a problem in a lot of areas.
  • Sue B.

Oh darn! We live by a lake and I thought that was one "natural" and relatively safe way of killing unwanted plants! Any suggestions on what to use instead?
  • Sheila

Thank you for the info
  • Janet

I have had success killing Poison Ivy with RoundUp Poison Ivy and Brush Killer. I apply it with a pump up sprayer set to a small pattern and carefully apply it to only the Ivy leaves. It is systemic.