How can I care for my 7 year old Rose of Sharon tree?

JudyKathyJanet Pizaro
+2

I have a beautiful Rose of Sharon tree at least 7 yrs. old..it gets

question cut off

Where i the bush planted? What have you done to encourage growth and flower production?
  • Kathy

Possible Reasons Why Your Rose of Sharon Is Not Blooming
    There are many possible answers as to why your rose of Sharon flower buds are not opening, including:
    Excessive shade: Rose of Sharon will not bloom up to its full capabilities if given too much shade.
    Rot: During rainy summers, rot can set in and ruin the flower buds (although you may not notice it from the outside). The same effect can be produced by excessive watering if you water overhead.
    Drought: Conversely, during dry summers, rose of Sharon flower buds may be damaged from drought and fail to open.
    How You Can Solve These Problems
    Problem #1 is easy to solve, especially if you are able to exercise some forethought. This is a plant for full sun. When you are planting the shrub, make sure that you are giving it a location that receives at least six hours of direct sunlight per day. If you have planted it in an area that is too shady, consider transplanting the shrub to a more suitable location.
    Regarding problem #2, be sure to direct the spray of your garden hose to the soil around your rose of Sharon when watering. If you spray high, you will be drenching the flower buds, which invites rot. Of course, the rain will soak the flower beds, and you have no control over that. Nonetheless, if your shrub is properly located (that is, in full sun), the sunlight will help dry the water off the buds after a rainfall.
  • Judy

good answer...I agree