Which flowers can I plant if I have deer coming in my yard?

Geo22588483Janet PizaroMlfranke59
+3

I love flowers and I love the deer that come to visit me, but it seems I can't have both. Is there some kind of plants I can use that the deer will not eat?
  • Eve

They don't care for rhododendron. I also planted a bush called mountain fire that they don't go near

• Geo22588483

Here on Long Island, we have a huge problem with overpopulation of deer. They will each just about anything if they are hungry. I have used homemade sprays that work, garlic with milk & eggs, you must stay vigilant after it rains to respray. I have found that the stay away from mints, like Peppermint, Spearmint, also Lavender. Unfortunately, I have not found any flowering plants that they will not eat.
    • Cori Widen

Do all of those natural solutions make it work for you so that you can have flowering plants without too much trouble?
  • Mlfranke59

Deer do not lije prickly or fuzzy plants. They do not like coneflower or lambs ears.

Deer will eat anything,there are no proven deer resistant plants.Make sprays to deter them or buy the deer deterrent sprays
  • Geo22588483

Hi, Cori, now that it's spring, I've planted my annuals again, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, I started spraying with the homemade Garlic, milk & egg mix, so, naturally, its rained for three straight days.This mix does keep them at bay during the summer when there is plenty of other natural vegetation for them to find.
    You must keep it up, I've found that once the fall rolls around they will come back and start snacking again. I know how frustrating it is to do all that work and see it gone in one night. You just gotta stay on top of it, but I've found it does work. Good Luck