Will dumping your kitchen wast in a hole in the garden act as compost?

+4
  • Just peachy Just peachy on May 23, 2017
    I have done compost trenching which is the same thing, I guess. Only I do it over the winter time and come spring I had soft fine compost in the soil. So it worked for me!
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 23, 2017
    What kitchen waste? Not everything will decompose.
  • To Work With My Hands To Work With My Hands on May 23, 2017
    Absolutely - if you're using the right things! It's called Direct Composting by the source I use (GardenUpGreen.com) Anything you would normally and safely compost can be buried right into your garden with growing plants or while the garden is resting. It's good stuff for your garden and the only way I compost now!
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on May 23, 2017
    I put everything in my compost pile except meat and bones.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on May 24, 2017
    Yes, as long as you're careful to put in things that are able to be composted - make sure you don't put any trash in there, or bones, by accident! You could have two trash cans in the kitchen and just bring it out daily.
  • Marlies Marlies on May 24, 2017
    yes, it is called direct composting
  • Sue4274217 Sue4274217 on May 24, 2017
    It sure will--- and is far better than dumping your waste in the garbage. As others pointed out, be sure it's veggies/ eggshells/ etc... ONLY things that do compose (check out the internet for a list if unsure). Your earthworms will love you as they further fertilize your garden!!