Shellia Moore
Shellia Moore
  • Semmes, AL

Do you have to use dura rock to apply ceramic or porcelain tile to bat

Pamelawms15Shellia MooreWilliam
+3

I want to apply tile to the bathroom walls and was told I have to remove the existing drywall and use dura rock.
  • Pamelawms15

its moisture and mold resistant, but you don't have to use it if the are isn't exposed to moisture.
    • Cori Widen

But I would think that in the bathroom, there is always considerable moisture, no?
  • Morgan

If you're going to tile around your tub/show or sink area I'd remove the old drywall, put up hardibacker/dura rock cement board as the foundation for your tile work. It adds water resistance which is important because tile walls on drywall can collapse if it gets wet because of damage to the grout or if the caulk filling the gap between the tub and wall fails.

Only around the tub and shower area. Not needed around the rest of the bathroom.
  • Shellia Moore

Thanks!!
  • Pamelawms15

I'm having a house built now. There is Durarock only on the shower walls and along the tub walls. Essentially any splash walls. My bathroom has a huge window and exhaust fans in the ceiling. If you are in doubt, then use the Durarock on all the walls.