How can I make my roses grow bigger and smell more like the big garden

Janet PizaroNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA

• First, what is "the big garden?" Not familiar with that term or place. Next, not all roses today have the strong sent as the roses of yesteryear which is why heirloom varieties are prized possessions. When I want the smell of a certain rose, I visit my local rose gardens, arboretum, find the scent I am looking for, find the name, chat with the caretakers and staff and then Google to find the rose locally if possible. There are many "rose only" nurseries and they can help you find what you are looking for too, as well as how to care for them in your area. In addition the same goes for the size of the rose, feeding it will not necessarily make the blooms bigger. You will never ger a tea rose to have blooms as big as cabbage roses. Find some you admire, then Google and see if it is what you are looking for.

What have you done with the roses?