How to keep squirrels from eating tulip bulbs?

+3
  • William William on May 24, 2017
    Sprinkle cayenne pepper or chili powder around the tulips. One sniff and go running for the nearest tree. Won't harm the varmints or plants. May need to reapply.
  • Judy Ferrell Judy Ferrell on May 24, 2017
    Lay chicken wire at bottom of bed. Lay in bulbs. Cover with chicken wire, cover with soil. Bulbs will grow through holes in the wire.
  • JBingman JBingman on May 24, 2017
    Our local nursery is owned by a man who moved here from the Netherlands to supply bulbs to all sorts of places...one was Disney. He said that squirrels are lazy and to plant them a little deeper than suggested 'cause they won't dig that far. Also Plant tulips among hosta as it shades the bulbs during heat of summer.
  • Jude G Jude G on May 24, 2017
    I save my dog's hair when I brush him and put a pinch in with each bulb, I also do this for my potted plants (outside). I know it sounds weird, but it keeps the squirrels away!!
  • Brenda Brenda on May 24, 2017
    after planting them spread a screen with openings just a bit smaller than the bulb and cover with dirt
  • Karen Durante Karen Durante on May 24, 2017
    Human hair. I learned this from my 85 year old gardening neighbor.