What can i do with the dog poo once I pick it up?

+2
I have 2 large dogs and am continually picking up dog poo, what can I do with the dog poo ?
  • Beej Beej on May 24, 2017
    Mix with sawdust and burn
  • Jen Jen on May 24, 2017
    I put my in plastic bags and throw in the trash can.
  • Sharon Susa Courchesne Sharon Susa Courchesne on May 24, 2017
    FLUSH IT
    Dog waste can be flushed in the toilet, and treated at a wastewater treatment plant with other sewage. Don't put it in a storm sewer (on your street) as these carry rain to natural creeks.
    *Note: Don't flush any bags. They will clog your plumbing, or the city sewer.
    CALL A COLLECTION SERVICE
    There are companies that collect dog waste from private and public spaces. This is also a good option in townhouses or apartments where numerous dog owners cost-share. Search the web under 'dog waste collection'.
    BUILD A COMPOSTER ON YOUR GARDEN
    Dog waste will decompose cleanly and without odour in a composter. City Farmer provides instructions. Allocate a bin to this purpose only. The resulting compost can be used on shrubs.
    *Note: Don't put the resulting compost, or composter on or near your vegetable garden. If you live near a stream, place your composter away from the stream, as the runoff can contain a lot of nutrients (phosphorous and nitrogen) which not good for streams. Do not dig below groundwater.
    GARBAGE
    Pet waste is listed as prohibited from the region's garbage, but small amounts are accepted preferably double-bagged and put in the next pick-up. This would be the last alternative to limit waste going to the landfill.