Can this tree be saved?

+3
We had a maple tree come up volunteer in a flower box and it had grown nearly big enough to transplant. In the fall my hubby (thinking he was helping the tree) plucked away all of the red leaves. This spring the tree has no foliage except the new growth lower on the base of the tree. Will the tree recover and refoliate where the leaves were stripped off?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 24, 2017
    Scrape the bark where the leaves were removed and see if it is green.
    • Jjw12098715 Jjw12098715 on May 24, 2017
      I scraped the bark and it appears to be green. Should I just keep it watered and care for it as I have been in hopes that it will regenerate itself? What can I do to help it?
    Yes wait it out awhile,the fact the bark is green there is hope.If there are suckers on the bottom of the tree remove them so the energy goes to the tree.
    Thanks. I will do that immediately.
  • Suze Suze on May 24, 2017
    Have you ID'd the type of maple? If it's a silver maple, I would remove it. Check with your local AG office, generally county office, if you're unsure. Certain maples are weak and prone to disease.

If you would like quality trees at low prices, check Arbor Day Foundation. Also ask your AG office, as you may have nearby Forrestry services that offer free trees to homeowners, as will some parks.
      Thanks. I will check with my AG office. Since it was a volunteer tree we will probably just wait and see what happens with time. We're not out anything if it doesn't survive.