Tawni
Tawni
  • Idaho Falls, ID

How so I fix an aluminum railing that has paint peeling off?

Michael J WycoShe's Crafty! Hometalk HelperBabyBoomerSC

the paint is flaking off our aluminum railin on our deck. It looks terrible! Is there any easy solution without breaking the bank?
  • BabyBoomerSC

Yes! Sand off the crumbling paint the best you can - try not to have any rough edges. You can then spray paint it with Rustoleum paint. They make a ton of different colors - just be sure to choose the correct one for your railing. Home Depot or Lowe's both carry the spray paint.
    They also sell a "handle sprayer" for a couple of bucks that attaches to the spray can for easier use. I highly suggest purchasing that as well. It will make the job much easier.
    Paint very light coats (you may need up to 3 coats) until you get the look/coverage you want.
  • I'd also add that using a stiff brass brush (like a grill brush) will take care of most of the hard work initially. Then follow up with sandpaper to get a smooth surface.
  • Michael J Wyco

if you use a self etching primer it will help the paint hold to the alluimum