My deck on our house has never been treated .What steps do I need?

+2
  • Brenda L Herrling Brenda L Herrling on May 24, 2017
    Step 1 : Make repairs
    Step 2: Clean Surface
    DIY CLEANER
    Here's a deck cleaner you can make yourself. Recommended by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Products Laboratory, it's good for mildew and dirt.

• 1 qt. sodium hypochlorite solution (household bleach)
    • ⅓ cup powdered laundry detergent
    • 3 qts. warm water

In a 5-gal. plastic bucket, add the bleach and detergent to the water, then brush the cleaner onto the deck. Rinse thoroughly before applying a finish.
    Step 3: apply stain
    Step 4: Redo railing

Complete information found on this site:

Be sure to post before and after shots - so we can see your great work. :)

• Bren Bren on May 25, 2017
      Be careful using any household cleaning Products around your lawn, flowers, and other vegetation. You don't want to kill your yard while fixing your deck.
  • Tammy Schofield Tammy Schofield on May 25, 2017
    make sure to check all the screws and boards, that they are properly secured
  • Judy Judy on May 28, 2017
    The first thing I did, was to sweep this off, with sweeping it., 2) then I hosed it off at night, and by morning it was fine. Ready to treat it. I made sure the floor was clean, and no stains, and ready for a coat of finish on it. If it needs to be cleaned first, then do so, and then be sure, it is ready to finish. I put all stuff on one side, and then do one side, from board to board, the full length of the board, usually about 1/2 was across the porch, then the next day I finish it, by moving the stuff across to the other side, and this will finish the floor. Next will be the rails, and the edges of the floor, and supports, and steps. This will look so nice, when you are done. I painted the trim, the same color as the shingles, so this really looks GREAT. Best wishes, Judy.
  • John pyles John pyles on May 31, 2017
    Pressure wash first