Refacing my kitchen cupboards- advice?

+4
I have these kitchen cupbo that have a pine coloured film over them that is starting to peel off. Is there a way that the film can be removed on all the doors and if so how would I do this. Second questio, could I paint them after the film has been removed?
Any advise you could give me would be greatly appreciate. The house was built in 2001 and we bought it 2011. The cupboards are a pine colour and I would really love to update them with a DIY
thank you
Nettie in Edmonton AB
  • Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on May 24, 2017
    I would imagine you might be able to loosen it like wallpaper, maybe with some fabric softner and water, and keep peeling. But for painting, I would recommend chalk paint. It requires very little prep, no sanding or primer, and adheres very well to most surfaces.
  • William William on May 24, 2017
    You can use a blow dryer to heat the film and soften the adhesive. Probably particle board underneath. You will need to sand for paint. If only a small amount of the film is coming off, you could just remove what is peeling. Lightly sand the edges to feather them out. Then you can prime and paint.

Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.
  • William William on May 25, 2017
    White is in! Goes with everything. It will brighten the kitchen. Give it a new clean look.
  • Nettie Morris Nettie Morris on May 25, 2017
    Thank you so much William. You made something that seemed impossible, now possible.
    Much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Nettie