How can I get rid of groundhogs?

+3
The property of apartment I live in is infested with groundhogs. They are burroughing under the building. They have tunneled into the utility room attached to my apartmen and have babies.. There is a lot of electrical wiring, hot water heaters, fuse boxes etc. There is a terrible odor seeping into my apartment and I think something has died in in the utility room. The landlord says it's too expensive to hire a professional removal service. What are my rights as a tenant. Is there a way to get rid of these creatures?

• Sorry, the landlord is oh so wrong! Who cares what the expense is???? If you rent you must provide a safe, clean and rodent free environment. Call your local City or County Housing Authority, they are there to help you in situations like this. Also call the local Health Department. Your landlord is breaking more rules than I can count . . . Yet collecting rent from all the tenants . . . Gives new meaning to the term slumlords. I have sympathy for the groundhogs too as they have a right to live, but not where they are now. I am a big believer in trapping and releasing elsewhere. Maybe Google and see if you have a rescue group to relocate the groundhogs for you.
  • Kig3047281 Kig3047281 on May 24, 2017
    I agree with Naomie... If slumlord won't take care of the issue get together with other tenants in the apartment building and file a complaint. There's more power when others are willing to band together for the good of all.
  • Lynda Lynda on May 24, 2017
    I agree - you have a slumlord. In the meantime - give a few young cats a home. No rodent wants to live among a predator. Good luck!
  • Kathy Travis Kathy Travis on May 24, 2017
    You may try putting moth balls down the holes.
  • Candy cane Candy cane on May 24, 2017
    Thanks, tried that and they just moved over a couple of feet and dug another tunnel. Crafty rodents!