MR. B
MR. B

Electrical- is a ground wire causing our problem?

MR. BEllisJudy
+2

120v outlet on electric range quit working. Opened 240-volt disconnect but non-contact voltage beeper still squeaked at outlet indicating it is still shocking, ie live.
Is the ground wire causing this. Safe to work on?
  • Kathy

I think I would turn off all power then check. If you're still not sure call a professionaL.
  • Yikes, NO! Turn the power off at the breaker, then test, if still live, shut the whole house down and turn on one breaker at a time till you figure out which one it is. And label the breaker box if not already done so. Never ever work on live wires, you can kill yourself. Call an electrician ASAP if you have any doubts whatsoever. It could be your stove too, how old is it? Untill the electrician comes out, just grill everything and pretnd you are camping . . . Or eat out!
  • Judy

Ask a friend to help you, and give advice. I wouldn't call a electrician until he says so. Best wishes, J.
  • Ellis

Call an electrician (or if the outlet is part of your range, an experienced repairman)--you can kill yourself or set your house on fire. This is not a diy project.
  • MR. B

Sorry . I evidently went to the wrong type of website for this type of advice. Also, moust of you did not comprehend the question.The disconnect was pulled and the receptacle is original to the electric range. This leaves the ground wire.