Cheryl Thresher
Cheryl Thresher
  • Tehachapi, CA

What REALLY works to get rid of squirrels? They eat everything!

Debbie / Dragonfly TreasureBetsyC.B.
+4

• Pamelawms15

Once I added a few squirrel feeders to my yard, they stopped eating my plants. I make certain to keep them filled! Also, attaching netting above your garden will make it more difficult for them to gain access to your plants.
  • FRED RIGGS

dogs or cats or a 22 caliber pistol, semi automatic Sig Sauer. Careful. 22 cal. carrys about 1 mile. It may be illegal to shoot where you live also. Poison is not good, will kill friendly pets also. Squirrels were here before us.
  • Ironhorse68450

Are you saying you like squirrels?...just asking.
  • Nancy Turner

I used a mouse trap bated with peanut butter. It was tripped in my half barrel planter and had tooth marks in the peanut butter, but no squirrel. I haven't had a squirrel in my two half barrel planters since, even though I only put it in one. I myself mean no harm to squirrels, they have their place in the food chain, but I will do whatever I need to keep them away from my gardens. I am also known to feed them my stale cereal, granola, cookies, etc., away from my gardens, of course.
  • C.B.

Sprinkle powdered Coyote Urine in the areas you DON"T want them; it can be acquired via your local garden center or they can special order it for you...OR google it for a source.

Hi Cheryl: Basically, you can't. Feed them somewhere else, and remember, everything needs to eat, so if you can, learn to enjoy the little buggers. I will say that they climb up my peach trees and throw peaches at me, but that's only when I forget to put something out for them:) If they are chewing on your wiring, spray it with a mixture of 3/4 water and 1/4 oil of clove (you can get it in the candy making section of the store, it's a bottle about 2 1/2 inches high and only costs a couple of bucks). Put this in a spray bottle and spray whatever you don't want chewed or clawed. Works for cats and dogs, too. Won't harm them, smells great, tastes terrible:( Good luck

• Debbie / Dragonfly Treasure

Get a bag of blood meal from the nursery, spread through garden. The squirrels don't like blood smell at all and it also is a mild fertilizer