How do I kill weeds between flowers without killing the plants I want?

+2
I replanted some Irises and there are many weeds between them I have not had time to control and now they are out of control.
  • Pamelawms15 Pamelawms15 on May 24, 2017
    Get used to pulling weeds every single day! If you spend just a few minutes, when the ground is moist, it isn't so hard to keep up with. I say this from an organic stand point as we don't use pesticides in our yard. Using a miniature fork to lightly till the dirt will make the weeds easier to remove. Good luck! I know it's frustracting.
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on May 24, 2017
    I tend to lift the plants in a clump then gently tease the soil out of the roots. At that stage I can see the roots of the plants I want and can remove the roots/weeds I don't want...then I replant. This would be very easy to do with iris as they'll take a fair amount of abuse
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 24, 2017
    You will have to pull them there is no other solution.
  • A healthy covering of mulch isn't fool proof but should help greatly by reducing the amount of space available for the weeds to grow.
    You can also use landscape fabric, or newspaper, but as Iris like to spread you'd have to leave a large enough patch around the rhizomes to accommodate this. At least you'd be able to prevent weeds growing along the border though.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on May 25, 2017
    The ones that are near plants that you don't want to kill -- keep digging! It will eventually help over time, they'll stop growing in.