What's the best way to get rid of grass?

+1
I've got a small area in m yard that's difficult to get the mower into and would like to replant it with a ground cover plant. What's the best way to get rid of the grass so the new plants have room to take over this spot?
Thanks for any advice!
  • Cover it up with newspaper, cardboard or plastic. When dead, remove all debris. Till and amend the soil. Then plant. My current favorites are creeping thyme and sedum.
  • Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on May 24, 2017
    I would try laying a couple of layers of cardboard over it and leaving it there for a couple of weeks. This should kill off the grass pretty well. Then using a shovel or tiller, churn up the ground to loosen the soil. Add some compost if you have it available, and then you should be ready for planting.
  • Anna Anna on May 24, 2017
    You could rent a tiller and plow up the grass, rake it up, bag and discard it. Then plant your ground cover.
  • Teresa Teresa on May 25, 2017
    Depends how fast you want it gone. I used plastic sheeting on a area over the winter and by spring the grass was gone. But you can always use a tiller and it will be gone faster.