Marty's Musings
Marty's Musings
  • Greensboro, NC

How to DIY a Plank Wall With Chalk Paint for Under $100!

$90

Sometimes when we’re unhappy with our home we feel like we have to completely start over. Go back to the drawing board. Make a huge change, start from a fresh slate.

Can you relate? I totally understand this feeling but I want to propose that maybe one project is all you need for the WOW factor you’re looking for. This one of kind creative accent wall made a huge impact in our small coastal bedroom makeover.
how to diy a plank wall with chalk paint for under 100
We really like to make our makeovers pop so here’s our youngest son’s room in all its teenage angst/computer building mess. 

I know. Red walls. Glory. Behind that desk is a ginormous chalkboard wall that the artist kid wasn’t even interested in. Sigh. Again with the angst. Parents of teenagers unite!
(For more of the story on the door just follow the link to the blog post.)

My hubby had already painted the room in preparation and he has some great tips on  how to paint over dark walls. He also refinished the hardwoods which look ah-mazing! 

The first step was to remove the casing around the door and locate/mark the studs. Because he wanted secure nailing points for the ends of every board, finding the studs was critical. Use a stud finder or go old-school and drive nails in the wall until you find the stud and mark vertical lines, floor to ceiling. He also removed the baseboard for ease of installation and did not replace it.
He decided to use fence slats purchased from Home Depot; just normal 6′ x 5 1/2″ unfinished slats. He then cut the corners.

Once we landed on the final four colors, he mixed the chalk paint with water (a 3:1 ratio, water to paint). This softened the colors, especially the blue, let the imperfections of the wood show through, and gave them an almost smokey feel. He chose not to seal with a wax. You can see the board after prep and painting.

(For the actual colors and links to products used just click on this blog post.)
The fun of this project was that it was almost like a giant Tetris game! Remember that? You fit different colored and shaped blocks into complete lines as they dropped from the top of the screen. While totally random, our color pattern was intentionally non-repeating, but still landing on the studs. (For more details check out the blog post!)
My husband used 2″ finish nails and was not precise as to how he let the boards meet. This is NOT ship-lap or tongue-and-groove, so they don’t lock together. The only thing you want to do is make sure you stay as level as you can, checking each board before nailing into place. You will have to compensate for deviation in the way the slats were milled.
He chose not to replace the baseboard or install any kind of molding along the sides. We liked the rougher finish and his cut lines were nice and true. The last row along the floor was just scribed to fit and also left with no molding.

Did you notice we don’t have a single piece of artwork on this wall? The wall IS the artwork!
Marty's Musings

• AndradeTea

Looks great!

• Marty

Love this sooo much I've started to get the materials together! I've already ordered the chalk paint. I HAD to search for the colors you used since I loved them together (hope you don't mind) ☺. Wish my husband luck since like you I get the ideas but he carries them out. Have a fixer upper that we've been working on for three years! It helps that I work at Lowe's which he's not happy about since I think of MANY projects for him. Anyways thank you so much for sharing this awesome and beautiful wall and the details on how to complete! ❤.