Can I apply a stain on wood OVER an acrylic painting?

I am working on a diy pegboard project I found on Pinterest (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-project-idea-how-to-make-a-modern-pegboard-shelving-system-199246) I'm going to be painting a mid century modern pattern to the board using acrylic paint to make it more my own. I love the grain on the birch board I bought and wanted to apply a natural stain to bring in out more but I'm worried the stain will ruin the paint. Does anyone have experience with wood/stain/acrylic paint?? Also any recommendations for sealing? Thank you!!
  • William William on May 25, 2017
    The stain won't hurt the paint. Use a water based stain. The stain may give the paint pattern an aged look depending on the shade you use. I have used stain over painted items to make them look old. Use at least three coats of a water based polyurethane to seal. Dries fast and won't yellow. That is a nice looking shelving system.
  • William William on Jun 04, 2017
    Looks great! Love the patterns and colors.