How do I kill off weed trees?

+3
The root system groans like a vine underground.
  • Sharon Sharon on May 25, 2017
    I don't know what a weed tree is but when a plant has a rhizome root system, they sucker out. You might have to dig out what you can, try using epsom salt on it. Carefull dispose of any plant material.
  • Joyce Drumm Joyce Drumm on May 25, 2017
    I've never used Epsom salt on plants but I might try that on a vine that comes up standing straight but gradually becomes a vine. I've used a brush killer liquid spray on that and it helps but you might have to use it 2 or 3 times to kill it all.

.

• Kellie Barnett Kellie Barnett on May 25, 2017
    Salt means rock salt or table salt. Cut the weed back as far as you can, chop at the stump to open it up more and pour dissolved salt water over the area surrounding the stump while pouring dry salt onto the ground and the open areas of the stump. Now, just as a matter of info, you may find it is actually a black berry bush that is over grown. That's what I found out about mine. My son told me to leave it alone and I decided to wait and see what he wanted to show me. It is blackberries...with NO thorns!

• Kodi Pepper Kodi Pepper on May 25, 2017
    You can use apple vinegar mixed with Epsom salts, but I think any salt will kill the plant.
  • I have used straight vinegar too. Will take more than one application, but both epsom salt and vinegar are cheaper than chemicals and kid, pet and environmentally friendly.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on May 25, 2017
    Any kind of salt stays in the environment and doesn't break down. Both salt and vinegar will affect any plant or grass around where you put it due to runoff or rain dissolving it and washing down into other areas, so make sure you don't have any keeper plants within range. It may not be "natural", but I finally killed a huge wild grape vine that was attacking a lilac and the siding of the neighbors house by using a grass and weed killer. I chopped some into the huge trunk that was constantly sending out new plants and painted the open areas. It took a while but there has been no sign of life for almost two years now.