Create Super Cute Wall Storage From An Old Drawer

$10

I needed just a little extra wall storage in my bathroom. I just couldn't find any cabinets that I liked. They were all rather boring also I'd rather spend my money on something else.

I then had a little Eureka moment when I realized I could transform an old drawer I had kicking around in my shed.

I'd picked the drawer up from a skip (dumpster) a few months ago, just because I liked the blue handle.
I also liked the chippy cream paint on the front of the drawer. Therefore I just cleaned the front and the handle up with soap and water and left them as they were.

I then sanded the rest of the drawer.
To give the drawer an antique look I then coated the bare wood with a dark antique furniture wax.

To protect the chippy front of the drawer I used a clear furniture wax.
Do add interest to my drawer I decoupaged the base with some gorgeous graphic whale paper I had found on amazon.

Cavallini makes other nautical themed papers with fish, shells, and lobsters if you want to try something different.
I cut the paper to size and used mod podge to stick it down. I then sealed the paper with another layer of mod podge to protect it.
I then made a shelf for the cupboard. I just used a scrap piece of wood which I cut to size and painted blue.
To fix the shelf to the inside of the drawer I just used picture eyelets.
If you need a few more detailed instructions you will find them on my blog link at the end.
I love how my little wall shelf/cupboard turned out. To fix it to my bathroom drawer I just used for wall screws in each corner.
I love how my upcycled draw cupboard looks in my bathroom. It certainly adds a bit of interest and gives it more character as well as being handy.

I love using vintage graphic gift wrap in my upcycles. You should check out the Ikea Lamp I hacked with some map gift wrap it is one my most popular projects ever.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Kat12065209

Great idea! What kind of wax did you use to protect the painted front?
  • Jody Ritchie

brilliant!!! absolutely love what you've done!!
  • Tami Stone

Question, but not on the shelf... What color is your bathroom wall. I need to re-paint my bathroom (which is almost the exact color of yours). My leftover paint has disappeared, so now I don't know what color it was. 🙃 -- I love your drawer/shelf. Looks great
    • Debbie

to paint match, they need a sample the size of a quarter or bigger, and completely flat.

• Susie

I LOVE your whale theme!! Very cool!!

• Paula P

I bought that whale print and put it in a drawer, but I decided not to add the shelf because that top whale made me happy to look at and I couldn't bear to have anything cover it up. So now it's a "framed" picture on my bathroom wall.

• Darla Catlin

Hi. I love your drawer/shelf idea. Great job.