How do i remove weeds permanently?

+3
  • Marcie Marcie on May 25, 2017
    Weeds are very resilient and hardy, and the only way to do it permanently is concrete! Otherwise, mulch will cut down on the majority of the weeds. You'd need to add mulch every year to keep it deep enough. Ground covers help tremendously. Try a thick ground cover - vinca vine, once established, is so dense that not many weeds get through at all.
  • Kristen Koehler Kristen Koehler on May 25, 2017
    we also use landscape fabric underneath our mulch and that helps a lot!
  • You can never get rid of weeds permanently in a garden. Put landscape fabric down then mulch. I freshen up the mulch every spring and occasionally in the fall. Then pick the weeds as they appear. Since they are on top of landscape fabric and in between mulch and shallow rooted and easy to pull up.
  • Gma Kirk Gma Kirk on May 25, 2017
    The only truly permanent removal of weeds is paving over the surface. Short of that, the best you can hope for is barriers- landscape cloth covered with shredded rubber "mulch" would work for a fairly long time.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on May 25, 2017
    Weeds are a fact of life. Use weed preventer before you mulch to help, but most likely you will still have to weed a little no matter what unless you lay concrete and plant in pots. Even then, you may get a few weeds in your pots from our flying friends dropping seeds, or just flying in the wind.
  • Lori A. Carrel Church Lori A. Carrel Church on Nov 13, 2017
    I have always used Preen in my flower beds and raised boxes. I use it in the spring after working the soil and removing as many roots from soil as possible. (I love working the soil with my bare hands so it's not even a chore to me). After setting my plants I will then sprinkle a good coating of Preen. I don't mulch either and it prevents most all of the weeds.