Do i need to strip or sand furniture before i paint it a color?

+5
  • Whitney Whitney on May 25, 2017
    If your furniture has any sort of finish on it then yes. You are better off stripping and sanding prior to painting. If it is only a stain with no top coat then a light sanding prior to painting will do.
  • Susie Rufener Susie Rufener on May 25, 2017
    It would depend on the condition of the finish currently on it. If the finish is smooth and not peeling, you can paint over it. If it is glossy, just sand enough to remove the gloss.
  • Bobbie Bobbie on May 25, 2017
    I think it depends on the condition of the piece of furniture. I always give it a light sanding to smooth out the piece and it also helps adhere the paint better too.
  • Kathy Kathy on May 25, 2017
    It also depends on the look your going for.
  • William William on May 25, 2017
    I agree with Susie and Bobbie. Just lightly sand to remove any gloss and roughen for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint your color. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.
  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on May 25, 2017
    I always pretreat before painting because I want the paint to stick. You probably do, too. Find the product that works best for you with the least amount of elbow grease. Remember if you use chemicals ALWAYS use them outside!
  • Gerlinde Gruettner Gerlinde Gruettner on May 28, 2017
    I always sand first, to smooth things out and to remove any finishes that paint or even stain won't adhere to, or make you paint look different in places.
  • Diana of all Trades Diana of all Trades on May 28, 2017
    Sandy you don't have to sand or strip if you are using chalk type paint. That's the beauty of it. Chalk type paint actually adheres to the old surface instead of sitting on top of it like latex paint. The only exception is if you have peeling paint; then you would want to sand that area first. I use and recommend Heirloom Traditions brand. It's available at HeirloomTraditionsPaint.com and you can get 10% off by using code DSD. Good luck on your project.
    #HeirloomTraditions