DIY Granite Countertops

If you’re anything like me, you despise your old Formica and laminate counter tops. They stain easily, and not to they mention dent and scratch easily too! Furthermore, you’re probably wishing to hit the lottery some day just so that you can afford to replace the ugly things! I am dreaming of a gorgeous marble or granite counter tops!

WELL, I think we’ve found a solution for you… a paint kit specifically for
diy granite countertops
She had done a great deal of research online to analyze the cost and variety of Giani’s kits, thinking about what she wanted her kitchen counter tops to look like. She finally settled on the Giani Countertop Paint Kit, in Chocolate Brown since she loved the look and color of the “granite” it created!
diy granite countertops
Here are the steps she followed: 
1. Clear your counters
2. Clean and dry counters –
3. Cut caulk from the seams of your counters
diy granite countertops
4. Once your counter tops are cleaned and prepped, apply a line of painters tape onto any surface surrounding your counters!
5. After completely taping, apply the primer coat.
6. Begin to add color by applying mineral layers (there are three different colors included-the cans are numbered 2a, 2b, 2c). Using the sponge Giani provides, dab each color onto a dry surface.
diy granite countertops
6. Add two layers of top coat.
diy granite countertops
And voila! You have brand new counter tops all in a weekend’s time, AND for under $100?? Are you kidding me!? Look at her finished product!
diy granite countertops
Check out more photos and details over on my website here

diy granite countertops
Ari Goldberg |  VivaLasDiy

• Mary

We have a rough area on the underside of counter overhang which doesn’t show but is aggravating in that it flakes off when I clean, sanding not effective. If I were to refinish like yours, any suggestion for that ?

• Alvin L

wood glue that is waterproof when dry could work well... or use bondo for cars can work very well

• Eileen

have you tried magic eraser on the stains?

• Eve DeLange

I am buying a different house and the counters are Corian -- and while I know this was popular and it's expensive, I prefer granite. So you think the paint kit would work on Corian?

• Gloria

The paint kit itself says it is good to use on Corian.

• Turrilynn

I am inspired. I have horrible white formica countertops that had permanent stains in place before we moved in. No amount of bleach removes them. I can't afford to change the counters out, so this is a great option for me. Many thanks for passing on the tips!

• Karen

I think the countertop looks great. Your cabinets would be easy to paint and replace the hardware. Change out the linoleum. Last would be the fluorescent lighting.

you would have a great new look to your kitchen without a lot of cost.