How can you stop squirrels from chewing your succulents?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 25, 2017
    I have never had squirrels chew mine,are you positive they are squirrels and not rabbits or deer
    • Let22841006 Let22841006 on May 26, 2017
      I am positive the squirrels are the culprit. The deers will not be able to climb or go through the fence. I have not seen any rabbits down the slope or yard. Thank you, Janet!
  • Moreen Logan Moreen Logan on May 27, 2017
    I placed spiky cactus in between my succulents to keep the squirrels out of the containers. Prior to that I placed plastic forks around the succulents which worked pretty well too but of course it wasn't aesthetically pleasing. In addition, I know I shouldn't but I've taken to feeding the squirrels so they no longer have the desire to eat the succulents.
  • Lin Redetzke Lin Redetzke on May 27, 2017
    Have you tried good old cayenne pepper? That usually works pretty well.
    My neighbor is in the process of trapping an armadillo that is digging up their yard, we have problems with a darn raccoon getting in our bird feeders on the porch. When he falls, boy, he makes a loud thud! You should see the long claw marks he has made on our new cedar feeder. Didn't ever know he could suck out hummers sugar water, never had problems before with that!. We now bring all food in the house every night, we still hear him on the deck, but he will learn that the food is no longer there. LOL Hope you have luck with your squirrels!
    • Let22841006 Let22841006 on May 27, 2017
      Thank you, Lin! Someone advised me to plant garlic in the same pot. So far it works in the large pots but in small pots I just put a clove near them! In my sunflower large pot I placed a red onion in a small container then placed it in the middle of the pot.