Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

How To Faux Finish Using Common Household Items

$50

Did you know that you can create beautiful wall finishes with items you have laying around your house. Things like; grocery bags, a feather duster, sponge, saran wrap, rags and even a car mop!
how to faux finish using common household items
This is such an easy finish to achieve and it looks just like wallpaper. This can be done in just about any color you can think of. I wanted it to look like water because It was going in a pool bath.
Step 1: The first thing you need to do is paint the wall in a base color using eggshell paint. I use a white in this example.

Step 2: Mix 4 parts glaze to 1 part paint. Select a color that is 4-5 shades darker than the base. I used a teal color in this example. It looked a lot like the water in the pool.
Step three: Cut the saran wrap in manageable pieces approx 2' in length.

Step 3: Cut the plastic in manageable piece about 2 ' in length. Lay it on the wall and use a paint brush to smooth it on the wall. You want it to wrinkle. This is what gives it the effect.
Step 4: As soon as you're done smoothing it out, remove the plastic wrap and through it away. you will need a new piece everytime you do a section. Its OK, to over lap.
This is what it should look like. I've also done this technique with metallics for a really cool modern look on an accent wall. Play around with the colors and have some fun!
If you'd like more details on this project be sure to click on my blog link below
👇👇👇👇

Join my Facebook group "Ask Cheryl Phan" and share your before and after pictures. I'd love to see them.

Until next time,
Cheryl
Cheryl Phan

• Sunny

Hi, love this, but a little confused 😕. Did you use more colors than the teal? Or only real over the white? Thanks, Sunny

• Robyn Newberry

Eggshell is the sheen of the white paint she bought, not the color. I’m curious to know what sheen of teal paint she used though. Since she mixed it with glaze, she probably used a satin sheen (a step down from eggshell).

• Marion Ferrer

It looks very cool, but I am confused. when was the second color applied and how? it does not state

• Con25436990

Loved the look, but why not go over it with a fir! Paint roller, or rolling pin? Could go faster, with same effect?

• Trish Brown

I'm going to try this. it looks easy and fun. looks great on the wall. thanks for sharing

• Pmono7690

I did something similar using dollar store tissue paper used for gift wrapping. After smooshing it on added another thin layer of paint. Looks like a leather finish and has lasted about 7 years. Time for a new color for me.

• Pmono7690

Here is the sand/beige wall. I think soft light grey next time I paint.

It looks more like leather, in particular belly hide, in person.

• Laurii (double eye)

When I HAVE A FREE WEEKEND, I am going to try to do this. It looks awesome, thank you so much for your time and knowledge to show your finished product. LOVE IT.