Can I change formal din room into mud room without decreasg home val?

+2
I rarely use our dining room and lack coat, shoe, etc storage where we enter the house through the garage. I want to turn an unused room into a functional room but worry about resale If it's converted into a mud room. My plan was to add built- in lockers and a storage bench.
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on May 25, 2017
    I don't see why not, as long as you make it changeable in case you plan to sell. That way you can tell the buyer it can be used as a dining room as well. I think big formal dining rooms are fading out, especially since kitchens are larger and have a bigger eat in area.
  • Bobbie Bobbie on May 25, 2017
    I agree with Jamie. An area to put your coats, shoes, etc in keeping the home neat and organized is more important than an infrequently used dining area space. If you decide to sell just inform you buyer of the space use and let them decide how they would use it.
  • William William on May 25, 2017
    A mud room is a plus off the garage. Many people have dining rooms that aren't even being used. Some have combined a dining room with a kitchen and created a larger kitchen. These days kitchens have become more of a gathering place. Some have even combined a dining room with a living room for a more larger entertaining space. Go for it!
  • Mindy Mindy on May 26, 2017
    Use it for whatever works for you but don't make changes that will be difficult or expensive to undo. if you watch home shows they often caution sellers not to have the dining room be something else. I would probably return it to a diNing room for resale.