I seem unable to successfully keep a basil plant alive

+6
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 26, 2017
    How did you plant it? How often are you watering?
  • Susan Savarese Susan Savarese on May 26, 2017
    I don't have an answer to that, but I just wanted to say that I have the same problem! Everything else in my raised garden is doing wonderfully, but not the basil! Hmm... I water every day.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on May 26, 2017
    Is the plant in the house, outside in a pot or in the ground?
  • Mes22474182 Mes22474182 on May 26, 2017
    Outside in a pot
    LOL! I'm giving up as well. I'll just buy it from the grocery store! Ugh!
    Make sure that you stick your finger in the soil to see if it's dry down very far. Just because the surface is dry, it may be wet down an inch. Actually some times with pots and warm weather you may have to watch real close to make sure that it isn't getting dry real quickly. I have mine in a self watering pot that holds close to a quart of water and it could be a daily fill if it is really warm out. Some plants take more water than you think. I have had good luck with the self watering pot for my basil and parsley.
  • Rob7453153 Rob7453153 on May 26, 2017
    Basil is hard to keep going unless you have it in sunshine all day. Don't let the plant start to grow flowers. Pinch them off right away. If you don't do that the plant will quickly "bolt," that is, produce seeds. Then it will die because its purpose in life is over. You also need to pinch the top growth every few days to encourage it to produce leaves lower on the stem. Otherwise the stem will become woody and the lower leaves will start to die off.
    Check catalogs for different varieties of basil. Some are easier to grow than others. Usually the little plants in plastic that you see in the supermarket don't do well because they have already been shipped under less than ideal conditions and are sitting in a low light environment in the supermarket.