Excess water and drainage issues

+4
Help! Every time it rains we have a lake in our backyard. French drain? Drainage ditches? What works best?
q excess water and drainage issues
  • Susan Davies Susan Davies on May 26, 2017
    Same here
  • Jimrusk Jimrusk on May 26, 2017
    It depends on whether you live in city limits or outside of them because of codes. Some codes don't allow you to drain the water off of your property. If that doesn't matter then I would use a ditch as they can move water off faster. I would also put in some catch basins so that you can use that water later on to water plants with it. If you have water close to the house I would put in french drains to move that away so the house doesn't settle. You have a lot of room to play with and a lot of water to use! Hope this helps.
    • K668054070 K668054070 on May 26, 2017
      Thanks for the reply. We live in the city. I like your ideas. We'll definitely look into both ideas.
  • Gail Gail on May 26, 2017
    Ever thought of a retaining pond? You could have fish in there. You do have the perfect view! Birds have been known to bring fish eggs on their feet to other ponds and you can put what fish you want in there.
    • K668054070 K668054070 on May 26, 2017
      Thanks for the reply. I have two Hounds that love the water when it'a out there. Can't keep them out of the water and mess. Love to just be rid of the water.
  • Jodi Murray Hendon Jodi Murray Hendon on May 27, 2017
    Have you checked under your house? Water in the yard will eventually go away, but water underneath can be a big problem. We found out we had a lake under our house with a pier & beam foundation, every time it rained. The builder should have installed French drains when the house was built. We had to have major foundation work and French drains and sump pumps put in.

This is something you're most likely going to need a professional for.
  • K668054070 K668054070 on May 27, 2017
    House was built in 1928. We have sump pump under house, we put in a year ago. Professionals want a fortune to do the work. We're just looking for a DYI project that we can do. Thanks for your help.