What do I do with the dirt dog path around the perimeter of backyard?

+3
Help! I can't grow grass, the dog's paws get so dirty and it gets tracked into the house. I need an economical solution.
  • maybe you could put down mulch to make it look more like a path?
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on May 26, 2017
    You could also put down a paver path or some kind of cement flat stone path. This could also give you the start to some other outcrops of garden paths that you could plant around, especially in the corners. Just make sure you leave enough space between any plantings and the dog path so it doesn't block the path and the dog could then start going into the plants to get around them.
  • Kaioverbeck Kaioverbeck on May 27, 2017
    Load of small rocks. Made a big difference at my home. I had a small rain run-off ditch; also had waaay too many river rocks from previous owner. Slowing filling that ditch with the rocks and no more muddy paws.
  • Missroselady Missroselady on May 27, 2017
    Try mulch. If you don't have any from another part of your yard, Lowe's frequently has 3 large bags for $10. The pretty color will wear off after a year, but at least it is better than dirt, that turns into mud. Also, in the fall, you can layer loads of leaves. If you don't have large trees to rake, try going to a park and rake up. This is the cheapest solution.
  • Sharon Sharon on May 27, 2017
    Your dog is patrolling the yard cause he's bored. Maybe create some enrichment activities for him/her like bike rides with you, a Kong with treats inside, a day bed in the sun, some dogs like to latch on to something like a thick rope and swing around, a kids hard swimming pool on a hot day is fun.
    Try separating the yard into two, re-seed one half and let Fido stay in the other half until grass is established. Then flip him/her over to the other half.
  • John John on May 27, 2017
    dogs run fence lines to mark their territory and to watch for intruders....if you have a dog constantly penned expect his pathway. take you dog out for more walks, pea gravel or oyster shell the paths to aid in mud reduction