What's the best way to protect blueberry bushes from the birds?

+2
I've tried draping netting over them, but the birds still get in and the netting gets all caught in the branches, plus it's hard to get under it to pick!
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on May 27, 2017
    Bird netting protects tree fruit and berries if installed two to three weeks before fruit matures.
  • Virginia R Virginia R on May 28, 2017
    I cover my plants with old sheer curtains. I sewed some together or you can use clothespins to pin them together but you need to be sure there are no openings for the birds to slip in thru. Also need to go pretty much to the ground. I also placed "fake snakes" on some of the coverings. Birds DO NOT like snakes! lol
  • Marcie Marcie on May 28, 2017
    I have a couple of tall wire baskets meant to be used in the garage for balls, etc.
    I turn them upside down, attach chicken wire to them, and viola! They 're big enough they don't mess around with the plant, and easy to take in and out.
  • John John on May 28, 2017
    draping netting does not work...build a two layer teepee of netting....if the netting is directly on the tree/bush...the birds still have access....put distance between the netting and the tree...remember birds come in all sizes so select the smallest webbing you can find....they usually won't want to struggle with two layers....the reward is not worth the effort.....I have orchards and usually net all but one for the birds.....they go after easy pickings and leave the rest alone
  • Teri O'Neil Teri O'Neil on May 28, 2017
    i just planted more bushes so there is enough for us and them😀