Fresh and Modern Powder Room Makeover

$500
3 Weeks

Hi, I'm Christene from the blog Keys to Inspiration. My blog is all about helping you discover creative, simple, and affordable ways to design a home you love!

Today I want to share our latest home makeover - our fresh and modern powder room. In 2015 we moved into our townhome. It’s a new build home so we started with a totally clean slate. Since then, we’ve been updating the house little by little to make it more our style.

One room that I was dying to update was our powder room. I was pretty boring and basic at first. So, I made a design plan and we got to work DIY-ing and creating a completely new space.

You can see the full room reveal on my blog -- link at the end of the post.
Here's the room that we started with. As you can see, it was very basic and very boring. Pretty much the ultimate "builder-grade" room. Since this bathroom is our main guest bathroom, I knew we needed to spruce it up and create a prettier space.

First, I created a design plan.
This plan helped me to get an idea of the look I was going for in the room. It also helped me narrow down a few design decisions before I went out and bought things for the room. Making a design plan is always a good first step when starting a room makeover.

After we made a plan, then we got to work on the DIY projects. First up was a modern shiplap wall treatment.
We used plywood that was ripped down into 5" wide strips as our "shiplap" for the powder room. To get the distinctive "shiplap" spacing, we used tile spacers. You can see the full tutorial for the DIY Modern Shiplap wall treatment on my blog.

Once the shiplap was primed, painted, and finished, it looked like this!
Next, we moved onto the tiny window in the room. There is one small square window in our powder room that didn't have any trim on it. We wanted to make the window stand out a little more and look larger than it actually was.

Here's the plan for our modern craftsman window trim.
This DIY project involved creating a window sill and a header that elongated the window.

My favorite part was definitely the decorative trim pieces at the top. I just love the way that they layered to create that pretty craftsman look!
Once the window trim was painted, primed, and finished, it looked like this!
You can see the full tutorial for the DIY Modern Craftsman window trim on my blog.
Finally, it was time to add some decorations to the room. Making the design plan really helped me to narrow down the look I wanted in the powder room. I was able to find some really great decorations to help keep the powder room budget friendly. I especially love {affiliate} this large gold mirror!
I also found {affiliate} this amazing shelving unit for a steal. It was the perfect piece for holding decorative accents in the powder room.

Once all of the DIY projects were done and the decorating was finished, here's what the room looked like!
And, here's a little before and after in case you forgot what we started with.
I’m so happy with how the powder room came together! All of the finishes and decorations create a fresh and modern space that I was hoping for. It’s even better than I imagined!

You can see all of the posts and DIY projects in my Fresh and Modern Powder Room Makeover series on the blog. Just click on the link at the end of this post.

>> Christene

Connect with me on Facebook -- [facebook.com/keystoinspiration]
I also love Instagram! -- @keystoinspiration

• Plywood 1/2" thick (for the shiplap)
  • Pine Boards (for the window trim)
  • Gold Mirror  (Target)

Christene @ Keys to Inspiration

• Shad

What color paint did you use on the wall

• Rebecca

Doesn’t look like the same bathroom! I’ve been looking for a that paint color. What color is it?

• Sandy Olson

I love the idea of using plywood to make shiplap. But I have a shower in my bathroom. Do you think that's too much moisture for plywood? Have you used it in your full bathrooms?

• For a bathroom near a shower, I would maybe go with a material that is made to stand up to that kind of moisture. I know a lot of hardware stores now sell laminate or vinyl that looks like wood. That might be a good option.

• Ellen

Gorgeous! Especially for a small budget. It looks like a million bucks!

• Ellen

By the way, I have 2 small bathrooms, and I put a decorative tv tray into the guest bathroom when I have over-nighters visiting. It seems to work well. I've not had any complaints about nowhere to put their toiletries. I also have a decorative medicine cabinet where I keep little shampoos, soaps, etc that they can use, and empty spaces for their things.