Go Green With $40 Solar Lights

I purchased 2 beautiful lamp posts about 10 years ago when our Home Depot was having a clearance sale. They have been sitting there collecting dust in my garage because when I found out how much it would cost to have an electrician wire them, I was shocked and couldn't afford that price tag. I found these $40 solar lights from Home Depot and wondered if they might fit the openings?
These are a little more expensive than plastic because the globes are glass. I needed something heavy so they wouldn't blow away. We get strong winds on the back deck.
We assembled the lamp posts and drilled them onto the deck. (It does need a makeover - staining it is the next project on my to do list.
This is the top view of the lamp posts. We didn't use the covers and finials that came with the lamp post kits. You can see where the lightbulb would fit. It's the perfect size for a solar light.
This is what it looks like with the solar lamp in it. They cover the area perfectly.
How easy is that? Now, all you do is wait for them to charge. These light up after 8:00 p.m. and last until 6:30 a.m.
Sorry about the picture quality. This gives you an idea of how bright they are at night.

• Lamp posts  (Home Depot)
  • Solar lights  (Home Depot)

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home

• Barbara Boyer

How long do the lights work into the night?
    • 4554290

Hi Barbara,
      Technology with solar lights has come a long way. These ones last out 10 1/2 hours. I have some older ones that my husband put on a few of our fence posts in the garden that don't last half as long.

• Linda Ware

how do you keep water from getting in them, when it rains????
    • 4554290

Hi Linda,
      That's a good question. The solar lanterns are actually sealed very well and water isn't an issue. The lamp posts actually have small drainage holes and the water just trickles out. I just purchased these solar lanterns recently but I use my other solar lanterns all winter long and we do get lots of snow here. They're quite durable.

• Khai Do

Thank you so much for sharing
    love the ideas ! I actually bought on lamppost and had it in the shed for 5 yrs andcthe costvto hire an electricIan is expensive so I just did not do anything with it . I am going to start this project very soon after looking for the right solar light that can fit into it
    thanks again !
  • 4554290

Thanks so much! I'm happy to hear that you'll be going green too! Please post a picture when you're done.