Laying a "Peel and Stick" Vinyl Flooring

Sometimes you may want to cover up a floor but you don't want to spend a lot of money. Or maybe, you haven't decided what kind of flooring you want, but you want to cover up the current floor.Vinyl flooring is great in mud rooms or areas that receive high traffic.
Many new varieties of peel and stick are available, including traditional 12 X 12 in squares and ones that look like wood flooring. There are thin varieties but I prefer the thicker ones. They cost a little more, but worth it.
Try off setting the tiles for easier installation. This makes a nice finish and helps if you have an older home where walls are not straight. You don't have to worry about straight lines.
Completed floor in pantry
Close up of floor
Off setting vinyl tiles

Eclectic Red Barn

• Michelle

I have a tiny bathroom, do I have to remove the toilet to put the vinyl on the floor

• Eclectic Red Barn

@Michelle No, you do not...but, it is highly advisable. If you don't, it is challenging to make cuts that exactly abut the base of the toilet. Any gaps would not give you a finished look and would allow dirt build up. Also, if you ever replace your toilet the base of the new toilet would probably not be the same shape as the existing one and the fit could be way off. On the other hand, while the process of removing the toilet is not complex, it requires some effort and generally two people. You also need to replace the bees wax seal. It is a dirty and messy job; the toilet is heavy and there is a lot of water involved due to the trap. If you have never replaced a toilet before you should get some help if this is the route you take. Another cleaner option, if you have no plans to replace the toilet in the near future is to cut the tile as accurately as you can to get a good fit and then caulk the seam with a good caulking compound. You will only need a small tube and you can generally buy the color you need to either match your toilet or your tile. Good Luck

• Tammylyon

I have an older home just purchased and going to lay peal and stick floor ..Do you recommend starting in the center of the floor or should I start at the edge as it is not straight at all....I don't want to have little pieces along the edge.