$6 Dollar Tree Craft: DIY Farmhouse Style Vase Holder

Looking for a way to display flowers? You can make this simple but elegant DIY wooden farmhouse style vase holder for $6 using milk bottle vases from the Dollar Tree and a 1 x 4" from the home improvement store. A quick video tutorial is included on my blog to help guide you through this easy-to-do project using basic tools.
dollar tree craft diy farmhouse style vase holder
I started off with 3 of these cute vintage-inspired glass milk bottles from the Dollar Tree. I had to go to 2 different stores to find them. Sometimes they're in the vase section and sometimes in the section with the glasses. It seems they're hard to keep in stock but you can buy them online and have them shipped to the store for free. I have the link to them in my blog post if you can't find them.

Choose a soft wood like this whitewood board since it's easier to work with. I used less than half of the 8 foot 1 x 4".
You'll also need a drill with a 2-1/2" hole saw. I had my husband help me with this since it takes some strength to keep the drill straight while you're making the holes in the board. You can use a clamp if you don't have someone to help you.
I cut the board into 4 pieces and drilled 3 holes using the hole saw in one of the boards to fit the tops of the vases through. Once that was done, I painted the wood pieces first. Then I glued and nailed my vase holder together.
I placed my vase holder on my mantle and filled it with pink peonies. With a housefull of boys, I need pink in my life.  If you made one, where would you use it?

Tricia @ Simplicity In The South

• Cla22104047

How did you fit the tops of the milk bottles through the round holes you cut for them? The rim at the top of the milk bottles have a thicker, or wider lip then the the neck of the bottles that indent right beneath it?
    It looks like a a snug fit in your image.
    • Susan

You can use the bottles from Starbuck Coffee too!!

• Jen

my question is how do you remove the bottles for cleaning? Great project. Loved it!
    • Amethystaa

I had something similar, but the wood was stained, not painted. Yes, I agree an exterior paint would help the wood, as mine got ruined changing out the water. These are sort of a pain in the butt to be honest. Hard to clean. But cute!

• Carolyn Novak

What size do you cut the wood box?

• Susan

Carolyn, it looks like that would be your choice. I'd say, measure your bottles across, then, add about an 1/2 in on either side of them. So, with my bottles I have, I'd cut my long pieces in the 10 inch range and the sides about 5 1/2 inches tall. Here again, measure your bottle!!!

I am going to be using bottles from Starbuck coffees. The ones that come in the 4 packs are smaller than the single ones...I'm going to make one of each size of bottle