Angie Forte
Angie Forte
  • Lascassas, TN

Keeping Rooms Warm With Portieres #lowerheatingbill #energysavings

$20

UPDATE: This has been in use for about a year and YES it has definitely helped with lowering our heating bill!! I hope you give it a try!
After seeing my electric usage for this past month, I decided it was time to revive the use of portieres in our family room. The doorways in this room lead to the foyer which has an open ceiling to the second floor. We were losing so much of our heat to the upstairs. That's when I decided I needed to block off those doorways in an attractive way...the portiere! It has helped tremendously and we'll see what next month's electric bill shows.
keeping rooms warm with portieres, electrical, flooring, foyer, home decor, hvac
This is the curtain looking from the den into our open foyer. When I want it out of the way, I use a tieback.
This is the foyer side where the upstairs cold air travels down to our main floor. The portiere curtain has helped tremendously with keeping the den warm and the colder air in the foyer. Find more info on the curtain on my website!

Angie Forte

• Ruth O

Years ago I had the exact same situation as @Sherie above, and I hung a Roman shade ini the doorway to the basement family room. It made a huge difference in the temperature down there in Illinois in the winter. Kept it from getting too cold from a/c in the summer, too.

• Nancy J Goldwire

There is a very simple way to circulate hot/cold air in these houses with ceilings that attempt to reach the clouds! It's called convection Open air intake vents are installed at the ceiling level, then another is installed at the floor level. This creates a natural "convective loop" , allowing hot air to fall, cold air to rise. Building, or remodeling, be sure in tell you contractor you want "convective loops".