What is the best way to plant wild flowers?

+3
I know it sounds strange but I have never planted anything in my 65 year life! I received a pack of wildflower seeds in a gift bag from my friend's wedding but it has absolutely no instructions. Any suggestions???
  • Shoshana Shoshana on May 29, 2017
    I love wildflowers! Mix the seeds with sand for better visibility and scatter the seeds directly on top of the soil. It's recommended to compress the seeds into the soil, making sure not to bury them. You can either walk on them, use a board or if you are sowing a larger area, rent a seed roller.
    Water so that the soil is moist, not soaking wet, until the seedlings are about 4-6" tall. After that, the seedlings will survive on natural rains. If you are experiencing very dry weather, we recommend watering occasionally. Have fun!!
  • Nanade7 Nanade7 on May 29, 2017
    The wonderful thing about wildflowers is that they require very little soil preparation. Depending on your climate, plant in the fall in warmer areas or spring in cooler ones. Choose a spot with plenty of sun, rake the area to loosen the soil, then just strew the seeds across the dirt. Using the sole of your shoe, lightly brush a very little bit of soil over the seeds, then walk across them to tamp them down. Water lightly with a fine sprayer several times a day to keep the soil moist, but not too wet. Too much water will wash the seeds all to one area. Be patient & do not be tempted to remove what you might think are weeds coming up. All wildflowers are 'weeds' and are ugly until they bloom. Since you have only one packet, be sure to plant in a small area; a large container will do (think repurposing old tubs, etc. As the flowers bloom & die, you can collect the seeds for planting later in a larger area). If you are planting the seeds direcfly in the ground, keep in mind that, in nature, the plants will disperse their seeds & may start growing in unwanted areas. If you're planting in a flower bed, you may want to remove the dry flowers & sprinkle just a few into your flower bed. Most of all, be patient. Wildflowers grow & bloom at different rates. Other than occasional watering during dry spells, they survive well with neglect. I have a large area of open yard that I wanted to cover in wild flowers. I purchased my seeds from Wildseed Farms because they have seeds in bulk and because they sell seeds for every planting zone. They also have excellent planting tips. When I first started, I planted an area about 8'x10'. I now have 3 times that much without further planting because the plants propagate themselves. Every year there are different flowers that bloom more than the others. I think it depends on the winter temperatures & amount of rainfall. I hope you have success with your planting and don't let this be your one & only attempt at planting something. Planting wildflowers is easy with a minimum of back-breaking work (just a little raking), perfect for those of us in our 'golden years'.
  • Cat Cat on May 31, 2017
    for a truly natural look, get a few packets of wildflowers and scatter them. i always cover with a very fine sprinkling of soil, then water. You'll be amazed when things start growing! I started w/ lavender, and purple coneflowers, and shasta daisies, now they come back every year and are gorgeous!