Scottie Vosburgh
Scottie Vosburgh
  • Lovettsville, VA

Rustic Chandelier With a Bit of Glam...

$125

My dining room is a little dark which can make eating there at night tricky. The standing lamp in the corner wasn't doing it for me anymore (because it's ugly), but I couldn't find a chandelier I loved. I decided to make my own...
rustic chandelier with a bit of glam
I've known I wanted to use this ladder for a year... YES, a YEAR, pathetic isn't it? Sigh....
rustic chandelier with a bit of glam
I screwed some "eyes" in about 1.5 inches from the top and bottom of all four outside "edges".
rustic chandelier with a bit of glam
I bought decorative chain at Home Depot. I pried open a rung and then squeezed it back together over the eyes on all four sides. (I made the chain about 30 inches- two inches larger than the diagonal measurement to the center of the ladder)
rustic chandelier with a bit of glam
Then I hung it from one central point on my ceiling- roughly in the middle of the table.
rustic chandelier with a bit of glam
I hung the wacky chandelier I found from the box that was very poorly located for the room dynamics (and part of the reason it took me so long to come up with a light for this room).
rustic chandelier with a bit of glam
I wrapped the cords, added lamp cages, crystal ropes and drops to complete the look. My dining room is not dark any more- I am SO happy with how it turned out and it makes me absolutely giddy every time I walk past it.

For more pictures and links to all the pieces, check out my blog post at the link below.
Scottie Vosburgh

• Jay

How would you deal with all the black cord above the rustic ladder ?
    • Scottie Vosburgh

PS if you look at the photos on my blog, you can actually see tjey are far less noticeable there.

• Little Homestead In Boise

Great idea! That is a lot of black cord, had you thought of bundling it somehow? Some people have used fabric tubes with velcro and covered cords/chain, might be an option? Great idea!

• Scottie Vosburgh

I have thought of that and even tried a few ideas...you don’t actualy even notice them in person and the work arounds made them stand out even more. The large fireplace on the right when you walk in and the silver draw your eye around and not up. I totally know what you mean though and they’d drive me nuts if they stood out like they do in the photo.

• Lorraine

I love what you did but I have a question about the wiring in the ceiling. What did you attach the wiring from the chandelier to in the ceiling. Or, does it plug into a wall somewhere?

• Scottie Vosburgh

It’s a regular pendant light connection. It connects the same way any other chandelier does. It’s hardwired and there is a switch on the wall. There is a link to the actual product I bought on my blog post as well as better pictures from different angles that might make it more clear.