Rustic Chandelier With a Bit of Glam...

$125

My dining room is a little dark which can make eating there at night tricky. The standing lamp in the corner wasn't doing it for me anymore (because it's ugly), but I couldn't find a chandelier I loved. I decided to make my own...

I've known I wanted to use this ladder for a year... YES, a YEAR, pathetic isn't it? Sigh....

I screwed some "eyes" in about 1.5 inches from the top and bottom of all four outside "edges".

I blog over at byscottie.com where you can find all of the final photos of this project plus a detailed tutorial.

Scottie Vosburgh

• Lorraine

I love what you did but I have a question about the wiring in the ceiling. What did you attach the wiring from the chandelier to in the ceiling. Or, does it plug into a wall somewhere?

• Scottie Vosburgh

It’s a regular pendant light connection. It connects the same way any other chandelier does. It’s hardwired and there is a switch on the wall. There is a link to the actual product I bought on my blog post as well as better pictures from different angles that might make it more clear.

• Susan

It’s definitely different & fun! But out of curiosity, why didn’t you hang the ladder under the fixture? I know you hung the ladder above the table, but why not move the table? Directly under you could thread the various parts through the rungs of the ladder without the cords reaching for it.

• Scottie Vosburgh

On my blog post you will see a larger view of the room.

Long answer: The walkway is right there and if you move it under the space for the fixture, you can't walk from one side of the house to the other without walking all the way around the table.

Short answer: It's an issue of flow to both the house and the room.

• Joann Leming

Is chalk paint shiney or flat?

• Scottie Vosburgh

Generally chalk-style paints have a matte or flat finish. I don’t believe I reference paint in this post though so I’m a little confused about where your question is coming from.

• Birdy

Our chandelier was inspired by the various copper pans and blocks/tackles we found on our journeys. The “ladder” was formerly a rack that held my vintage grilling pins!

• Birdy

Our chandelier was inspired by our collection of vintage copper pans and block/tackles we collected from our journeys. The “ladder” was formerly used as a rack for my vintage rolling pins!