DIY Mudroom Laundry Room

$85

Like a lot of homes in the US, our garage door leads straight to our laundry room. That makes it the perfect spot for a DIY laundry and mudroom combo. But our house was built before everyone fell in love with mudrooms. After moving in I spent a lot of time on Pinterest searching for DIY mudroom ideas. There are really some huge and beautiful mudrooms out there. But I needed to work our mudroom into a 4 foot wide space between the garage and the washing machine. At first, I was looking at ripping out the existing cabinets to build a mudroom space from scratch. Then I realized those cabinets were already the perfect starting point.
So, I stopped searching for DIY Mudroom ideas and started converting those cabinets. The long cabinet, on the left, that used to store brooms and cleaning supplies became extra coat and bag storage. The base cabinet on the right was cut in half and converted into a bench. The upper cabinet above it was shortened by about 10 inches to increase the head space. Everything got new trim to give it a finished look. I’ve broken down the details for this laundry and mudroom combo below. It’s really easier than it sounds.
Follow the link below to get full build details.
I started by removing the doors and drawers.
Then I removed the counter top from the base cabinet.
I marked a straight line and cut away the wood with my circular saw, jigsaw, and my little dremel (aff) did the close cutting in corners and near the wall.
Coat storage was added to the old pantry cabinet and above the bench. Shoe storage was also added to both areas.
The key to making this new mudroom beautiful is all the trim details and the v-groove panel on the wall.
The bench was reinforced with 3/4"lumber. It's extra sturdy for little feet.
The top cabinet stores hats and gloves and displays cute items. It really finishes off the "hall tree" look on this piece.

Want to see more from my Laundry Room Remodel? Check out my Hometalk project about the Table I built to go over my washer & Dryer.

Stephanie Abbott

• Jen20214532

What is a mud room please.
    • Carol70

It’s the room you come into from the outside with your muddy shoes, coats and wet mittens. and hats. Particularly practical in locations where there’s lots of rain and snow.

• PRWins

Your mud room/laundry room looks larger than my bedroom. And the cabinets looked fine before the changes. (And it's difficult to put a table over a top-loading washer.)

• Sabrina's Organizing

What a great transformation!