Mid Century Mix Up Fix Up

When I first saw this piece crammed in an old country FireHall with many other pieces of furniture I knew it was unique and was cryingout for help. I also knew something was not quite right about the placement ofthe drawers. They must be mixed up. But I loved the fact two drawers wereserpentine and the pulls were also interesting. I really did have mixed feelingsabout this dresser due to the fact I just didn’t have the vision yet. The pricewas right and the uniqueness won me over.
I started first by giving it a good cleaning with TSP then I rearranged the drawers until they fit properly together and looked balanced. I removed the handles and set them aside. I decided on drama for this piece. A combo I had never tried together before was Graphite and Coco in the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint ™ collection but thought it would be perfect to achieve the look I wanted. The drawers were painted Coco and the rest of the dresser including the pulls/handles was painted Graphite.
In order to add a little glam and soften the more masculine feel of the dresser I added silver gilding wax to the metal medallions on the square handles and also added some to the other handles. The gilding wax really is a great product. A small amount can make a dramatic difference to a piece of furniture.  A clear wax finish with very slight distressing here and there finished this piece off.
In order to add a little glam and soften the more masculine feel of the dresser I added silver gilding wax to the metal medallions on the square handles and also added some to the other handles. The gilding wax really is a great product. A small amount can make a dramatic difference to a piece of furniture. A clear wax finish with very slight distressing here and there finished this piece off.
I know I am a little biased about my own work but you must agree that this really is a fabulous transformation. It is now an elegant piece that has new life and a chic contemporary feel.  A  multi-function piece that doesn't have to be in a bedroom.
I know I am a little biased about my own work but you must agree that this really is a fabulous transformation. It is now an elegant piece that has new life and a chic contemporary feel. A multi-function piece that doesn't have to be in a bedroom.
http://redwindstudio.ca/store/2014/01/17/mid-century-mix-up-fix-up/