White Washed Pots for the Patio

$40

Now that summer is almost here, I wanted to add some flowers to my patio. The problem was that the plastic flower pots that I had weren't that pretty! I came up with an easy project with some paint I already had on hand. I wanted to give my inexpensive planters and pots a new look. The below photo shows what the pots looked like when I started out.
white washed pots for the patio
I've seen white washed pots online and think they are so pretty! I decided to white wash my pots. The project took about a half an hour. All I did was spread some watered down Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint (in Everlasting) on the pots with a foam brush. I made sure to wipe the painted surfaces with a a paper towel after painting the pots to give the finish a uniform finish.
white washed pots for the patio
Once the pots were painted, I filled them with potting soil, impatiens and petunias. I chose impatiens and petunias because my home's patio faces the west and tends to get a mixture of sun and shade.
white washed pots for the patio
I love how the painted pots and colorful flowers look on the patio!
white washed pots for the patio
This was such an easy project -- I might want to white wash some pots for my home's front porch, too!
white washed pots for the patio

Lauren of Mom Home Guide

• Eclipsebigdog

2 questions: 1. will you be able to make 2 different colored pots close to the same color? 2. Does the chalkie paint not come off when touched or get rained on?

I loved how the paint comes up on Amazon ready to order and with my Amazon points may bought and shipped free and never leave the instructions!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

Hi - if you put the paint on heavier, you might get two pots of different colors to match. (Or, if you like, you can use one chalk paint, say in grey, as a base paint, and then lightly whitewash it with white chalk paint on top.) I whitewashed my pots two years ago, and they still look great. Good luck with your project! 😃

• Deb

Your pots look great. I will give a go. I think it looks so much better than the clay look. I will look for the chalk paint at Lowes home and garden. Do you put the chalk paint on then wipe it off or just spread it around.? ...Deb dlearnard@yahoo.com thanks.

Thanks for sharing..!!

• Sharon

Does this paint hold up in the rain?

• Carol Harris

I've done a couple of pots with chalk paint, it easy and it really looks nice, I've even put wax over one then sanded it lightly, I love how it turned out, thank you for sharing and they look so pretty

• Sherry

I’m going to try this! Love the look!