White Washed Pots for the Patio

$40

Now that summer is almost here, I wanted to add some flowers to my patio. The problem was that the plastic flower pots that I had weren't that pretty! I came up with an easy project with some paint I already had on hand. I wanted to give my inexpensive planters and pots a new look. The below photo shows what the pots looked like when I started out.
I've seen white washed pots online and think they are so pretty! I decided to white wash my pots. The project took about a half an hour. All I did was spread some watered down Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint (in Everlasting) on the pots with a foam brush. I made sure to wipe the painted surfaces with a a paper towel after painting the pots to give the finish a uniform finish.
Once the pots were painted, I filled them with potting soil, impatiens and petunias. I chose impatiens and petunias because my home's patio faces the west and tends to get a mixture of sun and shade.
I love how the painted pots and colorful flowers look on the patio!
This was such an easy project -- I might want to white wash some pots for my home's front porch, too!

Lauren of Mom Home Guide

• Sharon

Does this paint hold up in the rain?

• Sue

Would I do anything different if I use clay pots?

• Ticia

I have different colored planters which remain outside always and so they are getting a 'greenish' stain on them. Don't know if it's algae or mold but last year I tried removing it with a bleach solution and brush which only 1/2 heartedly worked. Do you think this whitewash will cover it as I would like to unify the pots. Does it have to be calk paint? TIA.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I don’t think it would hurt to try! Maybe you could try cleaning the pot with a light bleach (like a Chlorox cleaning spray) cleaning solution and a stiff scrub brush first. I think chalk paint would probably work best - you can get chalk paint at Walmart or your local craft store.

• Susie

Yes, it is very attractive! I have a few pots I don't like, and I think if I do this, I will be nuts about them then! Great idea! Thanks for sharing, Lauren!!

• Susie

Susie, again here. I made my own chalk paint last year so I'll use that. It's an off-white and I have plenty left! Yay!! Can't wait to try it.