"Capture Me" Dining Table Makeover

This table is my most popular pin over on Pinterest, so I thought I'd do a tutorial on the process and hopefully it will inspire others to think outside the box and tap their creativity. It is a solid, heavy, round table with a veneer top that seats four. Here is what it looked like originally.
capture me dining table makeover
I painted it with a DIY chalk paint in Benjamin Moore's White Dove (my favorite white paint by the way). I'd say I probably did 3 layers of paint for good coverage. It also came with 4 chairs. So, I painted those in a DIY chalk paint in Valspar's Indigo Cloth ( a light navy blue color).
capture me dining table makeover
I added gold detail around the legs by custom mixing a couple metallic gold colors of acrylic paint and applying with a small art brush. Then the entire set was sealed with SC Johnson Paste Wax and buffed to a nice sheen. It sat in my house for almost a year because I could't get anyone to buy it. Ha! So, I decided to add some interest to the table top using Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain & Glaze.

Unicorn SPiT can now be found on-line at Walmart, Amazon, and Jo-Ann Fabrics (soon to be in all their stores). It is also available in select Ace Hardware stores. I purchase through local vendors which can be done by joining the Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain Q & A facebook group. Their service and knowledge is top-notch.
capture me dining table makeover
For this I enlisted the help of my 2 younger kids. We squirted on Unicorn SPiT in Blue Thunder and Zia Teal, and sprayed with water to start spreading out the colors. Then I cut a piece of plastic drop cloth to fit the table and we layed the plastic over the top slowly and adjusted to get most of the air bubbles out. As the plastic lays down it sunctions itself to the surface. Plastic drop cloths come in rolls and can be found in any paint department. The thinner plastics work better. I used a paint roller on top of the plastic and our fingers in places to move the colors around until I liked it. Then we pulled the plastic up from the outside towards the middle and ended up with what you see in the picture above. But, I couldn't stop there so I added some gold.
capture me dining table makeover
Using a small sea sponge I randomly added the same colors of gold acrylic that I had used on the legs.
capture me dining table makeover
I sealed it up with multiple coats of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane (oil based).
capture me dining table makeover
Adding the multiple coats of poly gave the entire top a 3D effect. You can also use Famowood Glazecoat (an epoxy) which is equivalent to 70 layers of poly to get an awesome three dimensional look.
Close-up view
Close-up view
Another close-up view
Another close-up view
Side view
Side view
capture me dining table makeover
And a final picture of the top. And low and behold, it finally sold to a gentleman that collected marbles and thought it looked like a giant marble. He was going to display his marble collection on the table.

I hope this inspires you to try something new and different. If you have any questions, please ask below. You can also find me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook @angelrockstudio. Thanks for reading

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/AngelRockStudio/

• Janis Tysko

How did you prepare the table for painting? Did you just clean well or sand down?

• Rad4995161

Remember it's a veneer t az bla. If they sanded zt all. it was to scuff the surface to promote adhesion

• Sherry Stuurman

Have you ever used epoxy to create a 3-D effect on countertops? If you have, please email me at:

momasan2@sbcglobal.net to tell me HOW you did it and any tips for getting a great look. Thanks! Sherry

• Peggy Riggles

Stone coat countertops is on you tube also and there are many excellent step by step videos on all different designs. You don't have to redo once you're done, but can redo if you want a change. I have also used this product on 3 separate kitchens and they turned out great! I used it the 1st time in my churches 1970s kitchen and am a perfectionist and self critical, but when friends at church saw it and asked me to help them do theirs I figured it was ok. I really love it now. Don't be afraid to try it!

• Have you tried using Michelle Nicole's Artistic Vivations Gold and Metallics? She's the creator of Unicom Spit. I have some I'm looking for ideas what to do with it but this table looks like inspiration for me to start fingerprinting with the non-toxic paint! Love your colors! Amazing job!

• Traci Heimer
      30 minutes ago

Hi Jennifer,

This table was done before Michelle made her metallics. I have so far used Zeus and Mercury Metallic and love them. I would've definitely used the Zeus with the stain press if they existed at the time. I've also used the SPiT SHiNE High Sheen Finishing Wax on a couple projects and love that product so far too.