Tootie Trouy
Tootie Trouy
  • Millington, TN

DIY Book Wall Tutorial

$20

Book Wall tutorial to create a great Famhouse feature wall for around $20!
diy book wall tutorial
1. Collect a bunch of books. Get a variety of hardbacks and soft. I would recommend looking at your local Goodwill. That is where I scored the majority of mine. Pay special attention to the pages because they are what primarily shows. I didn't want any stark white pages, but mostly varying shades of yellow. The color of the pages are much more important than the covers.
diy book wall tutorial
2. Arrange your books on the floor prior to hanging them. The method of securing the books to the wall is semi-permanent, so I would recommend having a game plan before you attach them. This will also be a benefit if you are adding anything to the books, such as words like I did.
diy book wall tutorial
3. Have a staple gun and a roll of tape ready! The books are attached to he wall using the staple gun. I used an electric one, but a regular one would work fine, as well. Begin with the cover and staple it to the wall. If you plan to have the book open flat, then begin working your way in toward the middle and staple chunks of papers, having a slight raise to them to add more dimension. As you near the middle of the book, leave a page free on each side. You then take your tape, loop it and secure that single sheet to the rest of the pages to hide the last staple.
diy book wall tutorial
diy book wall tutorial
4. Vary your design. Some books are open flat. Some books, I only secured the covers and let the pages fan. Some, I rolled the pages. And some are just loose sheets. Variety creates interest, so switch it up!
diy book wall tutorial
diy book wall tutorial
And Voila! You have a Book Wall Feature! It is truly very easy. Have Fun!

• Antique Books
  • Staple Gun
  • Tape
Tootie Trouy

• Iva22611446

It looks very, very nice, but in real life what about the dust on pages? How to bust it and not to tear the pages?
    • Sootie

Feather duster
    • Deb J

I could not agree more! Honestly, the first thing that popped into my head was "how in the world would you dust this?!" Great Minds 🤔
    • Brenda Miller

Dust Off air can duster if you are that picky. It looks great.
    • Mci22391547

Blow dryer
    • Sha4775837

If you love to read as much as I do you will find a way to dust this. I think it is wonderful and speaks to my reading soul. Thank you for sharing Tootie!
    • Penny Chayko

Absolutely love i! I will have to go book shopping very soon. Will look awesome in my library
    • Rebecca

I love this idea but my 150 yr old farmhouse has plaster walls. So, I am thinking to maybe do a smaller version on a plywood backing. Then I thought maybe a shadow box would avoid the whole dusting thing.

• Tex24875381

Or using some old awesome picture frames!
    • Brigidbythelake

I wouldn't worry about the dust. I think it would add to the ambiance! I absolutely love it.
    • Jen17916398

Out of the box thinking while at the same time...using what is often on a shelf somewhere gathering dust....placing value on something of GREAT importance.....CREATING something eye catching and unforgettable....this is PRICELESS!!!! I LOVE it!!! ❤️️
    • Barbara williams

Absolutely gorgeous
    • Rambie

It's absolutely gorgeous! Especially to us avid readers. It will be fun deciding which of my many books to use! Thank-you for sharing with us.
    • Pam

I doubt a Picasso is dusted often...this is art, in my opinion. You have left me nearly speechless. I love this. I love books. I love creativity? Not completely speechless.;)
    • Maury hill

Omg I love this! It's a work of art in itself.
    • Tootie Trouy

I have not had a problem dusting. The Swiffer duster works great!
  • Ann Melichar

How did you get the letters on and in what font is that?
  • EricV

How did you attach the single pages?
  • Jo Montgomery

Could it be mounted in a board? So it can travel w less damage to walls?
    • Celia Stabler Vencil

Great idea!
    • Jewellmartin

I can really see this on a school library or public library wall. In my house, there are few display walls. (One of the negatives of having an "open concept") but I do have a large bulletin board I might want to decorate with books. Two sawtooth hangers would give much less damage to my freshly-painted walls than multiple heavy duty staples. I love this creative idea. Best wishes 😇
    • Tootie Trouy

Absolutely! Great idea!
    • Virgieanne

Hello All, We have a new baby in the family an assortment of your family's babies pictures would look great on some of the pages as well. You could use spray laminate on pictures & pages so they would hold up better.