Laci Jane DIY
Laci Jane DIY
  • Indianapolis, IN

Turn GLASS Into MIRRORS!

I'm going to show you guys how to turn real glass into a MIRROR.
You are going to need real glass. It can be from a window, coffee table, whatever. Just make sure it's real glass. This will not work on acrylic glass (sorry, I tried it so you don't have to)

turn glass into mirrors
I used two glass pieces from a coffee table. You can find my full tutorial on the coffee table makeover on my YouTube channel .
turn glass into mirrors
Apply the spray paint generously. I don't follow the rules with regular spray paint. I applied it thick and I didn't move onto the next section until I could start to see my reflection.
turn glass into mirrors
OMG! I can see myself!
turn glass into mirrors
The side that you spray paint will look a bit foggy, but still reflective.
turn glass into mirrors
Pick up your mirror and look at the reverse side You have a perfectly clear mirror.
turn glass into mirrors
Watch my YouTube video to see the whole video in action! And make sure to subscribe to me on YouTube for Free DIY Videos!

• Mirror Effect Spray Paint  (http://amzn.to/1INyBEd)
  • Glass  (Anywhere)
Laci Jane DIY

• Ray

Any type of spray paint ?
    or special paint ?
    • Mirror Effect Spray Paint - link supplied to Amazon.
    • Kelly-n-Tony

Does it work on vintage mirrors that are losing their mirror in some areas?
    • Landsharkinnc

The beauty of a vintage mirror is in it's less than perfect state...if you did want to touch up some spots in the silvering on the back, I have use tiny little pieces of aluminium foil and tape...not truly reflective, but helps hide a black hole
  • Harry Haggen

hI have a mirror that has the reflective stuff peeling off. Can I use this spray paint to refresh it? It will that look spotty?
  • Kitty McCarty

2 questions: 1. did you spritz only the first coat, or all 5?
    2. I would like to make a mirror then cut/break it into pieces, paint the back a color (aqua etc) to make a wind chime. Think that would work (painting the back)?
    • Rose Mary Buds

I don't see anything here that says you need 5 coats... it only shows her using 1 coat. As for painting the back another color it would probably work just fine but you do understand that the mirror finish is applied to the back and viewed through the glass so it would need to dry completely before you add the second color or you might damage the reflection.
    • Kitty McCarty

Rose Mary Buds: thanks for your input and getting me back on track. I had just watched a video making a mercury glass window that used 5 coats, got them mixed up  . Since I plan to make a wind chime there is no front or back, I will paint the non-reflective side with different colors just to break up the monotony & add color. Not sure how it will look but here goes.
    • Jewellmartin

@KittyMcCarty. I'm in Mesquite, Tx. I would love to see how your chimes turn out. But the point about the mirror is, the glass only becomes a mirror when you look through the clear glass to see yourself reflected off the silver. So to have mirror on one side, your colors need to be painted on top of the silver spray. Please post on Hometalk.com. That's my favorite DIY source. Best wishes 😇
    • Kitty McCarty

Hi Jewell. Thanks. My plan was to completely make the mirror then spray paint the non-reflective side. I think I'm hearing that this should work as long as I follow that plan. ?? I believe cutting glass would be better than trying to cut a mirror. I've done a lot of things I considered "Hometalk-material" but have never posted...maybe one some day. Guess you can tell that I have weird ideas some of which have actually worked. BTW: I was born & raised down here in the coastal swamps but spent a year in Richardson ( a very long time ago!) with hubby's job.

• Wendy Miller

Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing! Saw this paint and was very skeptical.
  • Loneagle

I have seen this paint in regular silver and in gold. But I want to make a black mirror (Actually a chess board so will be black and silver). Have you ever seen this paint in black? Or do you have any suggestions?
    • Laci Jane DIY

I honestly have no clue...Sorry :/
    • JIM

Tape spaces you need to be black on the side your spray'N with mirror paint . Then remove tape and paint it black.
  • Cynthia Cullen

Do you know if this product will work on an existing mirror that has lost the silvering from it's edges?
  • Dpbeee2

Will this mirror spray paint work on wood, or does it have to be a transparent substance? Great results by the way. Thank you.
    • Laci Jane DIY

It has to be on real glass, it doesn't even work on acrylic glass. If you spray paint it on wood, it will just look silver
    • Dpbeee2

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Great idea that Im going to try on an old window I have. You inspired!
  • Beda Hobbs

I wonder if I can fix a vintage mirror with this? My mother had a dresser mirror from about 1926 that I now have after her passing. The body had been brush painted with a vanilla ice cream color. I had it sand blasted and spray painted a bronze color. The mirror isn't broken but in bad shape. I tried to have it replaced, it's approximately 6 x 9 inch oval. I was told they couldn't bevel a new mirror because it was too thin. I've left it on my dresser without a mirror looking for an answer. Maybe this is it. It would mean so much so use the same mirror.

• Laci Jane DIY

If you try this, just make sure to spray paint the opposite side of the mirror that you want reflecting back to you. As long as it is real glass I don't see why it would not work. It would be great if an $8 can of spray paint could fix something that is priceless and so meaningful to you. Then you could enjoy it all the time!
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

I would be very careful, if the original mirror was from 1926, it would be a lead mirror. Trying to put this on it may ruin your mom's mirror. Maybe someone that does antique restoration might be able to tell you for sure.

• Debbie Brenner-Deline

cool idea, thanks!
  • Sarge

I have a (spare) coffee table top that i've been holding hostage in my basement trying to figure out what to use it for! This would work well for my spare bedroom!! Thanks for the idea.