How can I make my front yard look better?

+1
q how can i make my front yard look better
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 02, 2017
    If your budget allows I would remove those trees,and existing brick.Put in a low retainer wall.Choose a shrub as a focal point making sure there is enough room for the root system.Continue planting with the tallest to the smallest of bushes,perennials,and annuals for consistent color.
  • Maribeth Bastian Maribeth Bastian on Jun 02, 2017
    I'd suggest removing the trees as well and replacing with dwarf boxwoods or perhaps midget arborvitae--something that won't get too tall. Of course reattaching the shutter and adding a pop of color with an adirondack chair (red?) on the stoop would add some curb appeal. Potted red geraniums at the foot of the steps would also give some color, but I think you have a charming home already!
  • 1240839 1240839 on Jun 02, 2017
    I agree about removing trees, they're too close to house. I am not a fan of foundation planters, but the front one screams for pops of color, and one third of colors should be white for balance. I would put a planting strip between turf and sidewalk. Less mowing, more color and a little privacy for front yard. Reveal the house as you move into the yard.
  • Cathy Ward Markham Cathy Ward Markham on Jun 02, 2017
    Rather than removing the trees, I'd start by just trimming them way down. I'd trim the one on the left in the picture to just below the bottom of the window and maybe just neaten up the one on the right. See if you like that look. If you do, you've made progress. If you don't, you've only lost about an hour of your time and you can remove them. Maybe add a focal point in the bed between the trees like a fun birdbath or wood or metal garden art. I can't tell what's under the window.

I think your walkway could use some sprucing up. I'd put a planting bed on each side of the walkway. Make the outer edge wavy so you have some natural lines and not all parallel. I'd suggest making it lower on the walkway and lawn edges and raise in the middle at various levels to draw the eye where you want. Keep your plantings easy care plants like liriope, juniper, ferns, etc. Make sure to cover with landscape fabric and mulch with either river rock or bark.

You could also add a pop of color with your house numbers. You could also paint the shutters and maybe the trim around that fun octagonal window a fun color. If you're not comfortable with that, put a wood cut-out on each shutter that matches your location or passion. I've seen stars, starfish, team logo, etc.