Old File Cabinet to Classy Fabric Storage

Looking for a way to store all those pieces of fabric you’ve been collecting? Well it ends up a 2 drawer file cabinet might be the answer to your problems! SEE ALL PHOTOS PLUS GET FREE LABELS HERE
Yep... this is the piece of junk we started with.
A few of the supplies we needed.
Remove the hardware on the front of your drawers if there is any.
Paint your file cabinet. We used Rust-oleum Chalky spray paint.
Glue the frames onto the center of each drawer.
Allow the frames to dry in place.
Measure where you want your knob to be then drill a hole through the frame and the metal drawer then add your nobs.
Add some wood accents.
Paint them and glue them on using expoxy.
Allow the accents to dry.
You're now ready to place hanging file folders in your cabinet and drape fabric over each one.
How's that for a before and after!

• Filing cabinet
  • Chalk Paint  (We used Rust-Oleum's Chalked Spray paint)
  • Epoxy  (http://amzn.to/2swXWCo)

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Jjm17945357
    Jjm17945357

This would be a great file for paper used for scrapbooking, card making, etc. What about using it in your kitchen for recipes you just had to have in print? Or instruction booklets for appliances or whatever?
    Love it!
    • Carey
      Carey

I have one that I use for a regular file, and a legal size 2 drawer file that I use for Scrapbooking paper. It is perfect. The legal size is required for Scrapbooking because the drawers don't accommodate a 12" X 12" paper. Keep your eyes open for second hand ones. I was fortunate in getting mine at a very good price. I bought my first file in the '80's new and it was very speedy. I have learned better since! : )

• Wee12497073
    Wee12497073

Me again. Need some ideas for the lateral file updates. Like the frame idea but those won't work for lateral files since they are 3' long.
    Open for suggestions???
    • Prz49034385
      Prz49034385

If you can get your hands on either a couple small folding cabinets or maybe a big one you could always use a single drawer per large yardage of fabric, you roll fabric around tentioner rod install in drawer and cut a slot into the front of the drawer.run end of roll through just slightly ( enough to see pattern/color) or you could not slot it and just open drawer to see roll

• Millies_mom47
    Millies_mom47

This is the best idea! I'm redoing a room into a craftroom and I was trying to come up with an idea to make my fabrics easier to find and easy to see, this is a great idea! My only concern is what if I have huge yardage of a fabric it'll be too much to wrap around a file folder. Any ideas for those large yardage fabrics?

• Lola
      Lola

Many ppl use Comic boards to wrap large amounts of fabric on & put them side by side so you can see what you have. I have bought two sets of cubes to do this with. Haven gotten to that part yet.